You may be tempted to rush the essay writing part and submit so you can get it done with, don’t! While submitting on time is advisable, writing in a rush is not.
Before you apply, make sure to know what exactly you want to apply for and the impact you want to make to your community using the opportunity.
Here’s a checklist of what to do:
– Make sure you are eligible for the Scholarship.
– Check if your course is Chevening approved on the website
– Check if your intended universities of choice (3) are Chevening partner Universities. This is an added advantage as partner Universities tend to pay a part or all of a scholar’s tuition fees. Oh, to be a Chevener!
– Have all your original documents scanned and ready to be uploaded.Donate
– Apply for your international transcript from your various universities. Even though you have the option to upload it after you are shortlisted, I uploaded mine at the time of application.
– Start applying for admission into Universities. It is never too early to gain admission, but it can be too late. Apply to as many as you can apply to outside of the three you will eventually mention in your essay. Apply even to Universities you think are above your standard as long as they offer the best education as regards your intended course of study.
– Contact former Cheveners for mentoring or if they choose to hold webinars, please be present for them. Follow Chevening’s website and socials.
– Watch Youtube videos guiding you on essay writing, follow webinars, scour the internet for any relevant materials, and leave no stones unturned.
– Prepare MENTALLY. This is a rigorous, mentally challenging, life-changing opportunity. The wait wil be long and tough, more so after you have been shortlisted for the in. no one told me this, but I am telling you, you need a huge tanf full of pati to weather this sandstorm. And sunshades to block the grains of sand from getting in your eyes, metaphorically speaking of course.
The application portal is open. And it will be so for almost 3 months. These three months should be used to carefully work on your essays. You can dedicate two-three days for the other application steps.
One of the most important essay writing preparations is to research, research, research. For all your essays to be top notch, you need to do a lot of research. Yes, you have a generic idea of what you want to study and where, but do you know the details? Do you know the ranking of the University when it comes to your course? Do you know the modules and how they relate to your career choice? Speaking of career choice, what do you want to do with the knowledge you intend to gain? Is it something powerful and impactful ? Is it achievable? How?
The application process will make or break your chances as only 4-5% of applicants get to be chosen for an interview and only 2% are chosen for Chevening. It could be you if you write that winning essay.
Have you ever applied for Chevening scholarship? Did you do your proper due diligence? How was it? Drop your comments below!
From Hafsat, With Love